In partnership with the University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship Trust, the Department of Geography is pleased to offer one scholarship for a postgraduate taught student from Africa in 2024.
Scholarship award The 2024 scholarship offers the following support:
- A full tuition fee waiver
- £8,000 maintenance support
- Accommodation in a single occupant en-suite room in University halls of residence
1. You must hold an offer to study on one of the following courses and register on the course in September 2024 at the University of Sheffield
- MA International Development
- MSc Environmental Change and International Development
- MPH International Development
2. You must be classified as overseas for tuition fee purposes.
3. You must be self-funded to receive this award, ie not funded by a research council, government, private enterprise, charity or any similar organisation.
4. You must not already hold a qualification equal to or higher than a masters.
5. You must not have already studied outside of your home country.
6. This scholarship cannot be awarded in conjunction with any other funding awards, either from the University of Sheffield or external sources.
7. Your mode of attendance must be full-time.
8. Receipt of the scholarship is subject to successfully meeting any condition(s) attached to your offer before the deadline provided by the Admissions Service.
9. You must have an unconditional offer to study at the University before the 2 September 2024.
10. Receipt of the scholarship is subject to successfully receiving a visa to study at the University in September 2024.
11. You must be a national of or permanently domiciled in an African country.
12. The scholarship can not be deferred and students taking a leave of absence will not be eligible to receive the award when they return to their studies.
How to apply
- Applications will open on this webpage in February 2024.
- The deadline to apply is 1.00pm (UK time) Wednesday 22 May 2024.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application before the end of June 2024.
Selection process This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful; a panel of senior members of staff will select the strongest application.
The panel will be looking to see in particular if you have:
- an excellent academic record
- provided a clear rationale for applying for a postgraduate course at the University of Sheffield
- outlined challenges to academic and professional progress and detailed how these barriers have been overcome successfully
- outlined examples of work experience in the field of International Development, including community and voluntary work
- clearly articulated future ambitions; these goals relate to the postgraduate degree you have applied for, and how your learning will benefit others from your country or Africa in general
Consideration will also be given as to whether candidates may have experienced discrimination because of personal characteristics such as their gender, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation.